Monday, July 22, 2013

Seeking Christ

Gospel Jn 20:1-2, 11-18
On the first day of the week,
Mary Magdalene came to the tomb early in the morning,
while it was still dark,
and saw the stone removed from the tomb.
So she ran and went to Simon Peter
and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and told them,
“They have taken the Lord from the tomb,
and we don’t know where they put him.”

Mary stayed outside the tomb weeping.
And as she wept, she bent over into the tomb
and saw two angels in white sitting there,
one at the head and one at the feet
where the Body of Jesus had been.
And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?”
She said to them, “They have taken my Lord,
and I don’t know where they laid him.”
When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus there,
but did not know it was Jesus.
Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?
Whom are you looking for?”
She thought it was the gardener and said to him,
“Sir, if you carried him away,
tell me where you laid him,
and I will take him.”
Jesus said to her, “Mary!”
She turned and said to him in Hebrew,
“Rabbouni,” which means Teacher.
Jesus said to her,
“Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father.
But go to my brothers and tell them,
‘I am going to my Father and your Father,
to my God and your God.’”
Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples,
“I have seen the Lord,”
and then reported what he told her.

***

This semester, I have a lot of free time in between classes. Yet, I barely find myself spending a few solid minutes with the Lord. Either I spend time studying or just killing the time by chitchatting with my classmates or listening to music or surfing the Net. In a world where it’s full of stress and worries and wolves and cockroaches and all sorts of noise, going to church on Sundays is just not enough. When you’ve already found a wonderful life in Christ once, it’s hard not to yearn for it again. So, I (and I believe many of us do) try to seek Christ again; not just on Sundays but every day. Where is He in my life? How come it’s so hard to find the peace I once experienced in Him when I have all this time to spare looking for it?
The problem is not the absence of Christ but the failure to recognize Him.
Mary Magdalene kept weeping because Christ was gone when, in fact, she was standing right before Him and even spoke with Him. Jesus Christ is already in my life, in me. All I have to do is to recognize Him. So I thought of ways to reestablish my happy (This is an understatement. I just run out of words to describe what my life in Christ is like… if you know what I mean) life in Christ.
1.       Count your blessings every day and be thankful for such.
2.       Make it an instinct to do good and be good. Doing good is your actions towards the world while being good is how you feel about your actions. When you give, give without expecting something in return nor feel burdened by your generous act. You did well by following the ways of our Lord.
3.      Enter your closet. You cannot really hear Christ with all the noise that surrounds you. Find your quiet moment with Him.
But why do we seek Christ? It's because we were meant to do so even at the dawn of creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment