Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ohana




Matthew 12:46-50

While Jesus was speaking to the crowds,
his mother and his brothers appeared outside,
wishing to speak with him.
Someone told him, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside,
asking to speak with you.”
But he said in reply to the one who told him,
“Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”
And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said,
“Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father
is my brother, and sister, and mother.”



***


"Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind or forgotten." I heard this quote from Lilo and Stitch movie. If this is how they define family, then Jesus defines what family means through today's gospel.


If having family is all about the bloodline then I will never be a part of God's family. But Jesus changes the order of relationships and shows that true kinship is not just a matter of flesh and blood.

As long as we are walking in God’s will we are aleady part of His family. But, what is God’s will for us? There are many verses that answer to this question but I’ll cite the two most important and most known.You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength and You shall love your neighbor as you love yourself.” (Mark 12:30-31)


(Photo credits: www.pptbackgrounds.net)



No comments:

Post a Comment