Friday, January 4, 2013

Remaining True to the Mission


Gospel: John 1:29-34. 
John the Baptist saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, 'A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.'I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel."John testified further, saying, "I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him.I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.' Now I have seen and testified that he is the Son of God."


In today’s Gospel, John the Baptist said that the reason he came baptizing with water was so that Jesus might be known to Israel. Perhaps, we should also ask ourselves why we do the things we do.

We have a mission to proclaim God’s greatness to the world. Is our tight daily schedule helping us fulfill this mission or is it only distracting us from our real mission? Is our social life helping us evangelize people or are we being dragged into social activities which are contrary to living a holy life?   

It takes a personal relationship with Jesus to really know Him. As followers of Christ, we can only introduce Him to the lives of other people and that is already one great step in their spiritual growth. We can do this by speaking of God’s Word but there’s another effective way to do it. It is to live by God’s Word. It is by putting action in our faith. People would more likely imitate our actions than listen to our words.

We can only bring Christ into other people’s lives if we have grown spiritually as well, if we have come to have a deep relationship with Him. We have to remain faithful to this relationship. Let us be Christians even when we are outside the Church, even when it’s not Sunday. Let our every action, every word and every thought be a stepping stone to fulfilling our mission. 

No comments:

Post a Comment