Monday, July 8, 2013

Jesus Heals


Gospel: Matthew 9:18-26

As he was speaking these things to them, behold, a certain ruler approached and adored him, saying: “Lord, my daughter has recently passed away. But come and impose your hand upon her, and she will live.” And Jesus, rising up, followed him, with his disciples. And behold, a woman, who had suffered from a flow of blood for twelve years, approached from behind and touched the hem of his garment. For she said within herself, “If I will touch even his garment, I shall be saved.” But Jesus, turning and seeing her, said: “Be strengthened in faith, daughter; your faith has made you well.” And the woman was made well from that hour. And when Jesus had arrived in the house of the ruler, and he had seen the musicians and the tumultuous crowd, he said, “Depart. For the girl is not dead, but asleep.” And they derided him. And when the crowd had been sent away, he entered. And he took her by the hand. And the girl rose up. And the news of this went out to that entire land.





I remember playing patintero with my cousins on the street when I was a child. One night, I tripped and got a cut on my knee. I asked my playmates not to tell my father because I was scared he'd be mad at me for being so reckless, as if he wouldn't notice the blood on my knee. I did get some scolding but I also got some first aid from my father.

Human as we are, we stumble and fall either due to our own recklessness or due to unavoidable accidents. We make mistakes that scar our lives forever. Sometimes, we tend to hide our wounds for whatever reason there is. We'd rather suffer in silence than be embarrassed by our own carelessness or be scolded for it. But that's not the way to heal a wound. A wound has to be cleaned and treated.

In a way, we are still like innocent children who do not know how to cure our wounds and that's why we need Jesus. There is no wound that He cannot heal. There is no suffering that He cannot end. All we have to do is come to Him, acknowledge that we need His healing power and even a touch of His garment would heal us.

So for today, be touched by Christ. Be healed.

No comments:

Post a Comment