Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Respect & Obey


Gospel: Mk 1:21-28

Then they came to Capernaum, and on the Sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught. The people were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes. In their synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit; he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are – the Holy One of God!” Jesus rebuked him and said, “Quiet! Come out of him!” The unclean spirit convulsed him and with a loud cry came out of him. All were amazed and asked one another. “What is this? A new teaching with authority. He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey him.” His fame spread everywhere throughout the whole region of Galilee.




Way back on my childhood years, there was a day when my two other siblings and I went outside to play in the garden. When we were at the garden, I then began chasing the chick which was roaming around.  I was really having fun at that time. Then suddenly, I began to observe that my two other siblings were at my back and they kept on following me wherever I go. I then began to ask my father, “Why is it that they keep on following me?” And my father answered, “They are following you because you are their elder sister. And as the eldest, you are a model to them. They will keep on following you because it is their way of showing respect and obedience to you. So you must respect and obey elders as well.”

This memory is still clear to me. When I was still a kid, my parents taught me to respect and obey elders since they were the ones who have authority over me. At that time, I considered my parents and relatives as my elders. In the gospel, Jesus played the role of an elder when the unclean spirits acknowledged him who is the Holy One of God and whom has great authority over them and obeyed him; thus showing respect and obedience.

With today’s gospel, we are all reminded to respect and obey those who have authority over us. Since we are all sons and daughters of God; it is clear that He has great authority over us. And this means, we have to respect and obey him.

Now come to think of it, if God really has great authority over you, how have you showed respect and obedience to him?

No comments:

Post a Comment