Sunday, January 20, 2013

I Came For YOU


Gospel: Mk 2:13-17
Once again he went out along the sea. All the crowd came to him and he taught them. As he passed by, he saw Levi, son of Alpheus, sitting at the customs post. He said to him, “Follow me.” And he got up and followed him. While he was at table in his house, many tax collectors and sinners sat with Jesus and his disciples; for there were many who followed him. Some scribes who were Pharisees saw that he was eating with sinners and tax collectors and said to his disciples, “Why does he eat with tax collectors and sinners?” Jesus heard this and said to them [that], “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

After reading the gospel, I came to reflect on the life of Levi. When Jesus called Levi to follow Him, he immediately got up and followed. And when they went to his house, some tax collectors followed  and ate with them.

As I was reflecting, I began to remember my journey with the Lord. During my youth camp, way back 2006, I have felt that the Lord is already calling me to follow Him. But then, I did not respond immediately to his call. When I had my first Regional Youth Conference in Guiuan, Eastern Samar, that was the time when I said “yes!” to him. When I said “yes!”, I did not know what’s ahead of me. And when I entered college, my journey with the Lord had become more meaningful. I then began to know Him more and was able to discover His great plan for me. He really has a great plan for me and part of that plan is to become a shepherd to his flock. But as I continued my journey with the Lord, it came to a point that I felt unworthy of the great things that He has given me. I became a failure.

In the past months, that feeling of unworthiness kept on haunting me. And I was not able to cheer myself up or even convince myself to move forward. I became so fearful to take the first step and start my journey with the Lord again. But as I was reflecting on the gospel, I recalled what Fr. Chris told me, “Every time you feel unworthy of what God has given you, remind yourself that NOBODY’s even WORTHY ENOUGH.” He was right and Jesus even said that “Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.” In the gospel, Levi was called by Jesus to follow him even if he is a sinner and even some tax collectors followed him and ate with him.

I came to realize, I really am a sinner but still Jesus is calling me to follow Him. When I said “yes!” to him, it will be a “yes!” forever. And though I have failed, Jesus is telling me now to be like Levi who followed him immediately despite of his sinfulness and even brought other tax collectors. I am even invited to eat with him. He already forgave me and I should forgive myself too so that I can start my journey with Him again. And as I follow Him, He even blesses me more; He is now encouraging me to call fellow sinners as well.

We are all sinners and Jesus is calling each of us to follow Him. He came to save sinners. 

Acknowledge that you are a sinner and listen to your heart. He is already calling you. Will you follow him?


“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”

No comments:

Post a Comment